The MS Teams integration makes the Course overview page of an itslearning course available from within a MS Team. This way students can quickly see what currently is relevant for that course. They can, for example see, their task list or open the current plan.
The integration comes in two flavors:
- You can add the Course overview page as a tab to an existing Team;
- You can have itslearning create a Team for an itslearning course, manage the memberships and automatically add the Course overview tab to this Team. With a user right it is possible to disallow the creation of Teams or restrict it to selected users.
Watch the video below to get a quick overview of the integration.
Create a MS Team for a course
When the MS Teams integration is enabled, an additional course feature becomes available under the settings of the course. Depending on the choices the itslearning system administrator made, it can be checked by default or it manually needs to be checked by the course teacher.
If you don't see this option, then either the integration is not enabled, or you do not have necessary user right. This user right can be given via the profile or via a policy.
When the setting is checked, a MS Team will be created for the course. In this Team, a tab will automatically be added called 'Course overview'. It will show the same information as the course overview page in itslearning.' Note that it can take a minute or so before the tab is added.
All course participants will automatically be added to the Team if they have a Microsoft email address from the tenant added to their profile. It is recommended to have the Microsoft account added as email address via an integration with for example the SIS.
Users also need to connect their Microsoft account to their itslearning account under their personal settings, on the Connected accounts page. If they haven't done so already, they will be asked to do so the first time they open the tab.
Add the Course overview tab to an existing MS Team
Instead of automatically creating a MS Team for a course, it is possible to connect a course to an existing MS Team. Note that course participants are not managed by itslearning in this case.
- Within the existing team, click on the + to add a new tab
- In the window that opens, search for 'itslearning'
- Click on the result 'itslearning Course Overview'
- Click Add
The app 'itslearning Course Overview' has now been added as an available app, but it has not yet been added to the team.
To add the app to the MS Team:
- Click the + again
- Click 'itslearning Course Overview'
- In the window that opens, choose the course you want to connect from the list and click Save.
You can connect multiple courses to a single MS Team, or the same course to multiple MS Teams.
Opening the course from within the MS Team
Especially for teachers, it can be useful to open the itslearning course in the browser. For example, if you want to be able to manage your plans.
To quickly open a course, click in the arrow next to the tab and select "Go to website".