The Test Mode Browser is an add-on component that customers can purchase. It needs to be enabled on the site by our Global Support team. The Test Mode Browser can be turned on and off without any related changes.
Teachers need to click the 'Enable Test Mode Browser' setting. (If you are using the upgraded Test tool, it will appear in the side panel along with other options.)
Once enabled, the Test Mode Browser will be available in test options for the teacher regardless of the device being used by the student. Students cannot open any other browser or programs until they have completed the test.
This is how it looks in our current Test tool, at the bottom of the test options page:
This will not affect material such as YouTube videos in the test description or in questions. Students will still be able to access these materials. Links to web pages will open in a new Test Mode Browser window for the students. They will NOT be able to navigate away from that original page.
Teachers will be able to review a test both with and without Test Mode Browser.
How it works:
- Tests are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- A test cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Tests that are set up for use with Test Mode Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
To determine which version is installed on a computer:
- Windows: Check the info for the LockDown Browser .exe file.
- Mac: Run the LockDown Browser application, the version you have will be displayed in the info dialog.
*Windows/Mac: If your version is older than the minimum version required you will be alerted when you try to start the test. If that is the case, go back to the test and click "Download" to install the updated version.
We highly recommend allowing your students to do a "test-run" before taking an important test using the Test Mode Browser so that everyone has it installed and can open tests without issues with the Test Mode Browser enabled.
Recommended systems and devices:
Test Mode Browser is supported for both the older Test tool and the upgraded Test tool on ONLY the following systems and devices:
- Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Mac OS X 10.10 and above
- Windows Virtual Machine (Lab edition only)
- Chromebooks (K12 only, Managed Chromebooks only, separate app, runs in kiosk mode)
- iPad with iOS 11+
*Note: iPad users could experience some compatibility issues with the upgraded Test tool.
Please contact itslearning if you want to use Test Mode Browser on Chromebooks, as it requires administrator setup.