All settings connected to assessment and Gradebook/Assessment Record can be located in the course's settings under the "Assessment settings". The "Assessment settings" page can be accessed via the second navigation bar in the header through the "More" dropdown menu.
Once on the "manage course settings" page, "Assessment settings should be selected.
There are three tabs on the "Assessment settings" page:
- Assessment scale
- Gradebook/Assessment Record settings
The first tab, "Assessment scale" displays the available scales in the course, including custom scales made by the course teacher.
- The "Created" column displays the user who created the scale. Scales created by "Admin" cannot be modified.
- If scores are to be used for assessing work, the Admin must first include this as a scale. Scales are not required for tests.
- Score cannot be created as a scale by the teacher. If score is included as an assessment scale it will always be on top of the list of scales.
- Score as a scale will give the teacher the ability to set a max score for an assessment.
- For tests, the max score will be calculated automatically, summarizing score for each question in the test.
- For assignments and custom assessments, the teacher will add the max score when selecting Score as assessment. The following screenshot illustrates the aforementioned:
- Given that a teachers has the appropriate permissions in the course, assessment scales can be created via the "Create" button.
On the Categories tab, categories can be defined to organize assessments in the Gradebook.
Creating, deleting and re-arranging categories
- Create categories
Categories can be created by clicking on the "Add" button under the Categories sub-header. A blank text field appears where a teacher can enter a title for that category. When the teacher enters the title and clicks the "Save" button, the category is created.
- Deleting categories
A category can be deleted by clicking the checkbox next to the category title and clicking the "Delete" button. Categories can be deleted in bulk by selecting multiple checkboxes and then clicking the "Delete button.
- Re-arranging categories
Categories can be rearranged by using the "Up" and "Down" buttons.
Categories can be weighted by selecting the "Yes" radio button under the "Use weighting for categories" section and then selecting "Save".
A new column titled "Weight" will appear to the right of the category title with a numerical weight value and corresponding auto-calculated percentage.
If categories exist prior to enabling category weighting, the categories will be equally split by default. The user may adjust the numbers in the weight field to adjust the category weights. The percentage field will automatically update as each category weight value is modified.