The new Test tool has been progressively released to users since December 2020.
On this page you will find release notes related to the new Test tool. (To see what the new test tool can do, please read the New Test Tool Overview page.)
Test v.1.19 (Apr 2022)
Test v1.18 (Mar 2022)
Test v1.17 (Feb 2022)
Test v1.16 (Jan 2022)
Test v1.15 (Dec 2021)
Test v1.14 (Dec 2021)
Test v1.13 (Nov 2021)
Test v1.12 (Sept 2021)
Test v1.11 (Jul 2021)
Test v1.10 (Jul 2021)
Test v1.9 (Jul 2021)
Test v1.8 (Jun 2021)
Test v1.7 (May 2021)
Test v1.6 (Apr 2021)
Test v1.5 (Mar 2021)
Test v1.4 (Jan 2021)
Support for Ukrainian and Russian languages
Adding two new languages in test tool to align with the rest of itslearning.
Easier editing of images in answer alternatives
We've improved the way teachers can edit or remove images in answer alternatives in multiple choice questions. There is now a three-dot action menu next to the image with options to edit or remove the image. The edit option will open the same dialog that is used for adding images, where the image and its description can be changed. Removing an image will delete it permanently.Important bugfixes
- Imported match questions calculated points wrong
- Error when deleting multiple choice questions with images in answer alternatives
- Not possible to make results invisible to students after making them visible. NOTE: there is still an issue with the toggle when you use Firefox, making it invisible on the page.
Minor release with bugfixes.
Images in answer alternatives
Teachers can now add an image to an answer alternative.
- The option is only available in multiple choice questions for now.
- You can drag and drop an image in the Add file field, or click to add from your computer.
- Accepted file types are .png and .jpg.
- For accessibility, the teacher should add a description when adding an image which will be read by screen readers as an alternative to actually seeing the image.
- The image will scale to fit the width of the test window.
TMB update - Mac only
This is a security update of the Mac version of the Testmode Browser. The new minimum version is 2.0.8.00. We are updating for both test tools, the old tool was updated with itslearning release R126. This only affects Mac, not Windows. After this release, students must update the version to start a test with Testmode Browser on Mac.
Make changes to an ongoing test
It is now possible to change the visibility of the test even while there are ongoing attempts. Some restrictions still apply. Keep in mind that there will always be some scenarios we can't detect, where it is possible to make a test invisible while a student is taking it. In such cases the student can't submit his/her attempt.
Note that this update will not take effect until itslearning R127 is released, planned in March.
- Test tool did not respect setting for de-anonymising assessments. This should now work like in assignment.
- You can now copy one or more questions from a different test by selecting “Import” on the “Questions tab” . To copy a question from a different test, select which course and test you want to copy from, and you will see a list of the questions that are available. The copy functionality does not include settings.
- Note: you can only copy questions from a test created with the new test tool. Questions from the old test tool must still be exported and imported using the QTI format.
- A new time limit feature has been released. You can set a time limit to a test and if the students does not finish in time, the test automatically gets submitted. After someone started the test, you can still change the time limit, with the following restrictions:
- You cannot set a time limit if it was previously 0
- You can reduce the time limit, but only to 1 minute more than the shortest elapsed time
- You can extend the time limit
- The counter displayed to students who are taking the test will recalculate if the time is changed, but only when the student moves to the next question.
- Minor technical update and bugfix.
- Security updates and bugfixes, including the problem of text being cut off in multiple choice answers.
- Added new question type, Select point which functions like Hotspot. For more information see the Question Types page.
- Partial scores for multiple choice questions.
- Test mode browser force update. If Test Mode Browser was not updated after summer, students must do so now to be able to take tests using the Test Mode Browser. The minimum version is now set to 2.0.7.01 (Windows, both student and lab versions) / 2.0.7.02 (Mac), as announced in release notes for R120.
- CKeditor updates - aligning with itslearning web
- Improvement to 'match questions' so a student is never presented with the complete and correct answers by the randomizer.
- Test-mode browser force update. Students should use the download link provided in the test tool to upgrade. If you are using the Windows Lab version, contact itslearning global support for an updated install file (version 2.0.7.01). This change does not affect iPad and Chromebook versions of the test-mode browser.
- Security updates
- Bug fixes include auto-suggestion shown in 'Fill in the blank' questions, dropdowns in select from a list questions not working if the instruction text is very long and language issues.
- Bug fixes for images disappearing in Test Mode Browser and results exports not including all attempts.
Improvements to autosave in open answer questions. Content is now saved when the user stops typing for 2 seconds and you can continue from where you left off (even on a different computer). Text appears under editor showing draft is saved (see screenshot below). This feature is only available in student attempts (does not show when a teacher reviews the test).
Known issue being worked on: Issue with autosaved content if the attempt is automatically submitted due to the passing of the deadline or visibility end time before student is able to submit the test.
- Option to make changes after user starts test.
- Change the question score
- Change the category of a question
- Change the category score
- Results of submitted attempts will be recalculated when changes are confirmed and saved. The results cannot be undone (unless manually changed).
- Note: If you have already scored a question manually, you cannot set the new question max score to a value lower than the highest score you have given any student. If you have already scored a question manually, you cannot change the category score if the category contains manually scored questions. If you change the category of a question, you could potentially change the distribution of questions for some students compared to your setup when drawing from categories, if their selection contained this question.
- Anonymous submission of tests -Works in a similar way as it does in assignment - for the teacher to manually assess student work without seeing the identity of the student. Anonymous submissions can be used in combination with other security measures for the test such as password protection or use of test mode browser. When this option is enabled, teachers will only see a scrambled key instead of the student's name. This also includes the results export file. Students are informed that the test is anonymous in the test information.
- Security updates
- Bug fixes
- Bug fixes
- Password protection: When creating or editing a test, add a password in the Test security section of the settings. The setting is off by default. The alphanumerical password can consist of between 1 and 32 characters. The password setting and the password is retained when a test is copied, and can be edited by any user who has edit permission to the test. Password tests can be used in the test-mode browser. The password can be changed even after someone has started the test, and ongoing attempts will continue to work. The new password will be required for anyone trying to start or continue the test after the password change was saved. (Dependency on general release on June 12, 2021)
- Bug fixes
- Bug fixes
- Updated Test Mode Browser version in the download link for Windows (2.0.7.01) and Mac OS (2.0.7.02). Download button for new version is found on the test start page. Chromebooks and iPads are not affected.
- Note: this version will be set as the new minimum version in a future release.
- Performance improvements - optimising queries and improving use of cache.
- Support for eQuatIO (ongoing work across platform)
- Bug fixes
- Improved accessibility for Either/Or questions
- Bug fixes
- Categories: Group questions by topic, difficulty or other criteria. A category has a title and a score, and that score is assigned to all questions in that category. Set tests to randomly pick a sub-set of questions from each category for each student. You cannot select which questions to pick, but the number of questions. Categories tab appears after test is created. We recommend adding categories first and then questions. Max score is determined by the setting in the category.
- Bug fixes